The Pavilion Cinema in Saint Patrick’s Street was one of Corks oldest cinemas. It opened for business on 10th March 1921. The first film screened there was D.W. Griffith’s The Greatest Question. The cinema with its 900 seats quickly established itself as one of the more popular cinemas in the city It was the first cinema in Cork to be equipped with the technology for the new ‘talking’ films. Its first ‘talkie’ was shown there on 5th August 1929. In February 1930 major damage was caused to the premises by a fire, but it reopened in June of the same year. The Pavilion restaurant was also popular with locals. In August 1989 the Pav as it was know locally closed its doors and the popular music store HMV now occupies the premises.