This firm had a long and distinguished history in Cork. It was founded in the 1820s on the Grand Parade. In 1876 it moved to Saint Patrick’s Street where it remained for 110 years. The original shop was also destroyed by the burning of Cork in December 1920, but reopened for business in an elegant new shop on the same site in 1925.
During the Civil War in 1922, communications between Dublin and Cork were disrupted and, for a short time, Egan Jewellers produced silver which was assayed by the firm itself. This ‘Republican Silver’ is now extremely valuable. Some examples of this silver may be seen in the Cork Public Museum.
As well as producing silver, the firm made altar clothes for churches in Ireland and the U.S.A. and also the touch flags which were used in interprovincial rugby matches.
The firm closed on 11th October 1986. The premises at present are now occupied by Vero Moda, a ladies’ fashion wear shop, and by Jack & Jones which specialises in men’s fashion wear.