A Catholic Church. It is the mother church of the diocese of Cork and Ross. Known locally as the North Cathedral. This cathedral was built in 1808, and is a combination of Limestone and Sandstone dressings and is Neo-Gothic in style. It features an 180foot Tower built over the Great West Door in 1868. The cathedral was extended in 1966-1967. In 1995-1996 it was renovated and re-furbished to bring it into line with liturgical requirements. Inside one can find many items of heritage value, like the 27 woodcarvings sculpted in 1822 by John Hogan the well-known Cork sculptor. During the recent refurbishment a number of modern artworks were commissioned for the cathedral.