The Wesleyan Chapel stood for well over a century in Saint Patrick’s Street. The first record of Methodists in Cork dates from 1748 when two preachers, Robert Swindells and Thomas Williams visited Cork. In spite of anti-Methodists riots in Cork during 1749, the congregation established itself and in 1752 the Methodists built a chapel on Hammond’s Marsh, This area is now partially occupied by Henry Street. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, visited the church on a few occasions. During the years 1797 to 1805, the Methodists used the old Huguenot church in French Church Street. Eventually this church was too small so they built the Wesley Chapel on Saint Patrick Street, and it was opened for worship on 7th April 1805. In 1855 the building was altered and restored. Fire damaged the chapel in November 1896; it was closed for repair until June 1897. Cork Methodists continued to worship here until 1986 when a centre and church was opened at Ardfallen on the Douglas Road. All that remains of the church at present are the entrance and surrounds, which is now part of the stores Evan’s and Dorothy Perkins.