The Ring of North Kerry, although not without its mountain views, presents for the most part tranquil open countryside, stretching northwards to the mouth of the Shannon. This is a land with great literary tradition, centered around Listowel and a great Irish music tradition which sprang from the distinctive style created by the musicians of the Slieve Luachra area in East Kerry.
Festivals and Events
April: Samlaiocht Charrai Arts Festival Tralee 22nd – 25th
Siamsa Tire Summer Season commences in Tralee on the 23rd.
Feile Phan Cheilteach International Tralee 25 – 30th approximately.
May/June: Writers Week Listowel 31st May to 6th June.
Horse Racing Tralee June Weekend.
Ballybunnion Bachelor Festival last week in June.
July: Ballylongford Regatta at Saleen Pier 3rd Sunday in July.
August: Ballybunion Busking Festival 3rd week in August.
“Rose of Tralee” International Festival 3rd weekend in August for 5 days.
Horse Racing in Tralee 4th week in August.
Tralee Dog Show around the 26th August.
Listowel Fleadh Ceoil 3rd weekend in August.
Ballylongford- Brendan Kenneally weekend- 2nd week in August.
September: Listowel Harvest Festival 18th – 23rd approximately.
Listowel Horse Racing 18th – 23rd approximately.
Ballylongford Oyster Festival held weekend before the Listowel Races.
October: Blennerville Threshing Festival around the 3rd October.
Castleisland Music Festival 27th – 30th October approximately.
Film Festival Tralee early October.
Ballylongford Races 2nd week in October.
November: Listowel Food Fair Mid November.
December: Ballyheigue Horse Racing.
Things to do in North Kerry
- Walking in North Kerry: The North Kerry Way (Irish- Sli Chiarrai Thuaidh) is one of Ireland’s long-distance approved pathways having a total length of 29 miles (48km). The pathway is marked on the ground by standard black posts carrying the yellow “Walking Man” logo and an arrow indicating direction. Starting at the Tourist Office in Tralee, walkers travel past Blennerville, the Spa and Banna Beach, through the low hills of Kerry Head, looping back to finish at Ballyheigue. This walk may be enjoyed throughout the year.
- Cycling: a glorious way to explore North Kerry. Bicycles can be hired locally.
- Gaelic Football and Hurling: Held most Sunday afternoons in local grounds.
- Walking: There are numerous short walks in North Kerry. If one is more adventurous one can walk the North Kerry way.
- Bus and Coach Tours: Can be booked locally.
- Ornithology: Akaragh Lough near Ballyheigue numerous species. Blennerville for seabirds.
- Archaeology: Numerous archaeological remains to be seen.
- Leisure Centres: Aqua Dome Tralee. Some Hotels open to the public.
- Bingo: Available in a number of centres throughout the year.
- Cabaret: Available in many venues throughout the season with many top artists.
- Dancing: Held in some venues see local papers.
- Discotheques: See local papers.
- Cinema: See local papers.
- Singing pubs: Many pubs have music by night and some places one can sing along.
- Botany: All parts of Kerry are a Botanist’s paradise.
- North Kerry Hunt: can be followed most Sundays in winter.
- Ten Pin Bowling: can be played in Tralee.
- Hire horse drawn caravans in Tralee.
- Golf: Two 9 -hole courses in Tralee; 18-hole course in Barrow; Listowel 9-hole course; Ardfert 9-hole course; Ballybunnion two 18-hole courses.
- Equestrian:- At Tralee and Listowel.
- Painting – an Artists paradise.
SEA ANGLING: See Numbers in cream circles
1. Mouth of Lough Gill ———— Bass (Bottom fishing and spinning). Top of the tide is best.
2. Tralee Bay ——————— Bass, surf fishing for flatfish expecially near Camp,Derrymore and Aughacasla where
streams flow into the sea.
3. Blennerville ——————– Flatfish and Bass in the channel.
4. Fenit Pier ———————– Skate,Ray,Tope,Monkfish,Bass,Dogfish,Mullet,Conger. Boats for inshore and
Deep sea angling can be hired.
5. Barrow Harbour —————- Bass (bottom fishing and spinning).Flatfish and occasional Tope.
6. Carrahane Strands ————– Bass (bottom fishing and spinning) flatfish.
7. Banna Beach ——————– Flounder, Bass, Dogfish,Ray.
8. Blackrock ———————– Beach and Rock fishing for Flounder, Bass,Ray and Dogfish.
9. Kerry Head ——————— Rock fishing -Pollack,Wrasse,Conger,Mackerel,Bullhuss,Dogfish.
10. Cashen Pier ——————— Lugworm Bait- fishing.
11. Ballybunnion ——————— Beach fishing- Flatfish, Dogfish,Bull Huss.
12. Beal and Littor Strands ———– Beach Fishing- Flatfish, Dogfish, Bull Huss.
13. Carrig Island ——————— Rock and Beach Fishing – Dogfish,Flatfish,Ray,Bull Huss, Conger.
14. Saleen Pier Ballylongford ——— Pier Fishing and boats can be hired for deep sea fishing.
15. Tarbert ————————— Pier Fishing.
GAME FISHING: See numbers in black
1. Listowel ————————— Salmon, White Trout, Brown Trout.
2. Abbeyfeale ———————— Salmon,White Trout, Brown Trout.
3. Between Farranfore and Tralee —–Salmon and Brown Trout.
4. Kilorglin —————————- Salmon,White Trout, Brown Trout.